Engaging in public policy advocacy is a powerful way to make a difference in people’s lives.
We believe breaking the cycles of poverty in the Ohio Valley depends on engaging the entire community. We do our best to help struggling individuals and families through our local partnerships, but it’s not enough. We must mobilize all segments of our community: business, labor, nonprofits, and advocates – to promote government policies and programs that address access to basic needs, health, education and financial stability.
Through public policy advocacy, we achieve results to improve the lives of children and families in our community by:
- Partnering with federal, state and local governments
- Educating the public
- Convening and collaborating with community partners
Our public policy agenda reflects the needs in our community and opportunities for legislative impact in local, state and federal government.
How Can You Impact Public Policy?
To become an advocate and help bring about positive change is simple. Get informed, find your voice, spread the word.
The 4 things you can do are:
- Learn more about United Way’s public policy agenda.
- Use your voice. Be an advocate for a cause that speaks to you by contacting your legislators.
- Use social media to create awareness in your social media network. Share. Tweet. Post. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep informed of current causes in our community.
- Register to vote in the county where you reside.